Connect: Finish Strong
The Connect: Finish Strong (CFS) program directly impacts our community by increasing the overall number of college and career ready graduates of Austin High School and Decatur High School. CFS will increase the number of college and career ready graduates through training faculty, providing support of students identified to be at-risk of dropping out, and strengthening engagement of all students.
Main components of the program:
- Professional development of faculty in leadership skills, data analysis systems, reading, and math
- Promotion teams to align resources and monitor progress
- Identification of at-risk students
- Aligning school and community resources to student needs
- 9th grade orientation
- Student support group meetings daily with trained leaders
- Promotion team bi-weekly progress meetings
- Progress report conferences with students
- Recovery contracts with students identified as failing a core subject
- Report Card conferences with all students
- Annual progress monitoring to document outcomes; compare students referred for interventions to non-referral group; evaluate/revise interventions; and prepare documentation of results data
Connect: Finish Strong will provide proven interventions and collaborations to improve the retention, promotion and graduation rates of at-risk students. Components of this program have been implemented during 2013-2015. The graduation rate has increased 18% (from 71% to 89%).
How We Measure Results
Connect: Finish Strong results will be measured through comparing discipline, attendance, and graduation rates each year to the rates from prior years. Aspire and ACT test scores will also be compared from year to year. DCSF, through its partnership with the Public Affairs Research Council of Alabama (PARCA), additionally tracks the "college going" and "remediation" rates and trends of DCS graduates. The CFS program will provide proven interventions and collaborations to improve the retention, promotion and graduation rates of at-risk students and to increase overall student engagement and achievement.
Projected outcomes include:
• 5% reduction in discipline rate per year
• 5% increase in attendance rate per year
• 5% increase in graduation rate per year
• Overall improvement in student readiness for college and career
Austin High School
Decatur High School